USCRI is looking for a Human Resources intern interested in tackling a variety of HR functions that are fundamental to our human capital assets and the business operations of this nonprofit organization. In this position, you will assist our HR department leaders and other staff with a wide range of projects related to HR compliance, professional development, onboarding/new hire orientation, employee benefits, and other project support tasks. This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. The Human Resourcse intern will learn how to take his or her knowledge and skills from the classroom and directly apply them to our work environment. The Human Resources intern will assist under the direction of our Executive Department.
You Will Learn How To:
- Create and/or revise various human resources projects involving onboarding, recruitment, professional development, business administration, and employee benefits
- Comprehend the importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management
- Ensure HR compliance by reviewing and auditing HRIS and other various system used for recordkeeping
- Learn how to benchmark to improve on service provided by human resources
- Build skills to support organizational and administrative tasks and general day to day HR functions
- Gain knowledge and experience about the full cycle recruiting process
What We Are Looking For:
- Background or strong interest in business administration, non-profit management, human resources, organizational development, or other related disciplines
- Efficient problem solving and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quick learner with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Detail-oriented and Creativity
- Organized, with an ability to multi-task various projects and prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access)
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns. We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career interests and goals. You will gain an understanding of our online human resource databases and grasp the strategic tactics of USCRI’s overarching business goals and HR’s role in this agenda so that you are better prepared to work in the field of human resources. You will learn how to assist our staff in a professional setting. Interns are also provided opportunities to learn more about the organization, our department leaders and other professionals in the non-profit sector, and enhance your professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
This internship begins September 5, 2017 and requires a 20 hour per week commitment. USCRI internships require a minimum of 20 hours per week and interns may not be in the office more than 8 hours per day. The internship is located in Crystal City-Arlington, VA, 15 minutes from DC.
- Part-time (20-30 hrs. per week): up to $160 stipend per month
- Full-time (30-40): $240 stipend per month
- Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed, up to a maximum of $20 per day
To apply for this internship, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications received via email will be considered for this position. Specify “Human Resources Intern” and your name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
- Resume or C.V.
- Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship
- Two References (names and contact information only