USCRI is looking for a Social Media and Blog intern who is interested in pursuing an opportunity to support our efforts on immigration and refugee issues and assist in advocacy communications that are crucial to the operations of a national nonprofit organization. As the Social Media and Blog intern, you will focus on supporting USCRI’s advocacy strategy and campaigns, create new content and research relevant content to publish to USCRI’s Blog, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts, schedule and manage content on Hootsuite, update blog content, find and select images, write captions, engage with field offices, partners, Allied Agencies and USCRI HQ staff to develop new content, review and create content for the website, including updating pages, monitoring press mentions, attend USCRI events to develop content and take photos for blog and other social media platforms; follow up to interface with social media followers/comments on our posts as well as liking and commenting on partner social media pages to increase our following and community partnerships, and assist with monitoring and reporting on the success of social media initiatives. This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. The Social Media intern will learn how to take his or her knowledge and skills from the classroom and directly apply them to our work environment. The intern will assist under the direction of our Director of Government and Community Relations.
You Will Learn How To:
• Become articulate regarding refugees/immigrants and current US policy/issues
• Develop messaging and gain experience in communicating to a large audience while representing USCRI
• Use branding to determine social media choices
• Monitor immigration and refugee related news of interests to the organization
What we are looking for:
• Well-organized, self-motivated, and reliable with a strong interest and experience in social media and blogging
• Professional or prior internship experience using Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, Instagram, Hootsuite, Vimeo required. Experience must be outside of personal use
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Professional demeanor, organizational and communication skills
• Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
• Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
• Ability to take and upload digital photos; photography experience a plus
• Graphic design experience a plus
• Interest in refugee resettlement, immigration, and human trafficking issues
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns. We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career interests and goals. You will gain a better understanding of the role of a Government and Community Relations department in a non-profit organization. In addition, you will learn how to assist our staff in a professional environment. Interns are also provided opportunities to learn more about the organization, our department leaders and other professionals in the non-profit sector, and enhance your professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
This internship begins September 5, 2017 and requires a 20 hour per week commitment. USCRI internships require a minimum of 20 hours per week and interns may not be in the office more than 8 hours per day. The internship is located in Crystal City-Arlington, VA, 15 minutes from DC.
• Part-time (20-30 hrs. per week): up to $160 stipend per month
• Full-time (30-40): $240 stipend per month
• Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed, up to a maximum of $20 per day
To apply for this internship, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications received via email will be considered for this position. Specify “Social Media and Blog Intern” and your name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Resume or C.V.
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship
• 2-3 relevant samples of work