Resources for Afghan Allies


Your gift will provide urgently-needed assistance to Afghan refugees and their families as they rebuild their lives in the United States.

Have questions, requests, or need support?

What is the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) program?

SIVs are available to individuals who have worked as translators, interpreters, or other professionals employed by or on behalf of the United States government in Afghanistan. SIV holders receive the same benefits and services as refugees under the US Refugee Assistance Program (USRAP). Find more information here.

Am I/is my family eligible?

You may apply for this program if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You must be a national of Iraq or Afghanistan; and
  • You must have worked directly with the U.S. Armed Forces, or under COM authority as a translator or interpreter for a period of at least 12 months; and
  • You must have obtained a favorable written recommendation from a General or Flag Officer in the chain of command of the U.S. Armed Forces unit that was supported by you, as a translator or interpreter, or from the Chief of Mission from the embassy where you worked.

Spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of a primary SIV applicant are also eligible for SIVs. 

How can I apply?

Send all necessary documentation (list is here) to [email protected].

If you have already applied and want to check the status of your application, call the US Department of State at +001-603-334-0828 — you will need your SIV number and date of birth. [He/she] can also email [email protected] for questions about your SIV case. Be aware that the NVC may take a considerable time to respond to emails.


What is the Priority 2 Designation?

The Priority 2 (P2) program is for Afghans who may be at risk due to their U.S. affiliation but who are not eligible for a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) because they did not have qualifying employment, or because they have not met the time-in-service requirement to become eligible. They may have been employed by U.S. NGOs, media organizations, human rights groups, or subcontractors of the U.S. government. Find more information through the Refugee Processing Center here and here.

Am I/is my family eligible?
Eligibility criteria are:
  • Afghans who do not meet the minimum time-in-service for a SIV, but who work or worked as employees of contractors, [1] locally employed staff, interpreters/translators for the U.S. Government, United States Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A), International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), or Resolute Support;
  • Afghans who work or worked for a U.S. government-funded program or project in Afghanistan supported through a U.S. government grant or cooperative agreement;
  • Afghans who are or were employed in Afghanistan by a U.S.-based media organization or non-governmental organization.
  • For non-governmental organizations (NGO) and media organizations that were not funded by the U.S. government, but are headquartered in the United States, the senior-most U.S. citizen employee of that organization may make a referral.
  • Afghans and their eligible family members (spouse and children of any age, whether married or unmarried) can be referred to the P-2 program by a U.S. government agency.
How can I/my family apply?

If you believe you are eligible for the P-2 program, you must contact the U.S. government agency, U.S.-based NGO, or U.S.-based media organization that you were affiliated with and provide them with information about yourself and your family. Additionally, include information about the qualifying organization you worked for and your dates of employment. It is the responsibility of the U.S. government agency, U.S.-based NGO, or U.S.-based media organization to submit a referral to us, following established processes, after reviewing and confirming your eligibility. Applications for P2 status must be processed in a country outside your country of origin.

You can find instructions for US-based media/NGOs to submit referrals here

If you have additional questions, please email [email protected].

If you are a P2 applicant and in immediate danger, call the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Protection Line at (+93) 079 069 1746 or (+93) 070 499 6168 or email [email protected].


What is the Priority 3 Designation?

Priority 3 (P3) status (or ‘family reunification’ status) is given to spouses, unmarried children under age 21, or parents of individuals already admitted to the United States as refugees or asylees. P3 application processes must be completed outside the country of origin. P3 individuals have access to benefits under the US Refugee Assistance Program (USRAP).

Am I/is my family eligible?

If you are a refugee/asylee in the United States, or you have a spouse, child, or parent who is, you/your family are eligible to apply for P3 status. 

How can I/my family apply? 

If you lawfully live in the United States and want to apply for P3 status for family members in Afghanistan, you must visit your local refugee resettlement office and fill out an Affidavit of Relationship for each member of your family. To find your local resettlement office, click here. 


What is humanitarian parole?

If you are not eligible for an SIV, P2 or P3, humanitarian parole might be a good option for getting to the United States lawfully. Humanitarian parole is a grant of parole justified by a determination that there exist “urgent humanitarian reasons” for an individual to enter the US. While the normal maximum period is 365 days, the U.S. government announced that Afghans will be eligible for parole for up to two years. Individuals granted humanitarian parole are eligible for work authorization in the United States, but are not eligible for refugee resettlement programs or other federal benefits. Find more information here.

Am I/is my family eligible?

You are eligible for humanitarian parole if you have a compelling emergency and there is an urgent humanitarian reason allowing you to temporarily enter the United States. Anyone can file an application for humanitarian parole.

How can I/my family apply?

You must complete forms I-131 and I-134 in order to begin the application process for humanitarian parole. See the forms and corresponding instructions and guidance below: 

Instructions for Completing Form I-131

Form I-131

Instructions for Completing Form I-134

Form I-134

Humanitarian Parole Application Checklist (

Common Questions When Filling Out a Humanitarian Parole Application

SIV / P2 / Humanitarian Parolee

  • Fill out information in this document : Evacuation Data Collection ( Completion of this form is not a guarantee of evacuation.
  • Call the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Protection Line at (+93) 079 069 1746 or (+93) 070 499 6168 or email [email protected].


US Citizen/Lawful Permanent Resident 


At risk LGBTQ+ individual 

  • Rainbow Railroad is a global nonprofit organization specifically supporting LGBTQ+ people who are facing persecution around the world. Their website provides a place to ‘request help’, and will do their best to support you through the creation of a safety plan.



  • Contact your Senator or Representative in Congress! Many Senators and House members are gathering lists of Afghans in need of evacuation, and passing along information to relevant contacts at the State Department. Find your House representative’s office contact here and your Senator’s office contact here.
  • The State Department has also now set up a hotline at 1-888-407-4747(domestic calls) and +001-202-501-4444 (overseas calls). 

Tips on Evading the Misuse of Biometric Data




How to Delete Your Digital History




If you are in the United States and looking for services, please go to your closest refugee resettlement office, which you can find here and here. 

Additional Resources 

If you want information about resettling somewhere aside from the United States, please find information through the UN High Commission for Refugees here.

Please continue to check this page for updated information.

If you are not in need but want to help, see below for ways to get involved. 

Our Latest

Pakistan Must End Campaign Targeting...

Millions of Afghan refugees in Pakistan are at risk under a Pakistan government decree for Afghan nationals to repatriate to...


TPS Afghanistan Decision Expands Critical...

The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) welcomes today’s decision by the Biden administration to extend and redesignate Afghanistan...


After Our Allies Were Welcomed:...

The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) released its comprehensive report following the two-year anniversary of the Taliban takeover...